So, you’re a snooze.
What now?

You have a great idea and it sounds like it may not be getting the attention it deserves. It's like the nice guy, who sadly, can't get any dates. You're here, which means you are taking the first step in finding out how to get more clients and customers. You have hope and know that if you keep going, things will work out.

And they will!


3 common problems that tend to surface during this stage: 

1. It becomes increasingly difficult to bring in new business and generate leads. 

2. As time goes on, you may feel the pull to charge less than others just to get (or keep) business. 

3. You’ll feel frustrated to see little to no results from your social media and marketing efforts. 

The first step of recovery is awareness. So let’s celebrate that you’ve come this far in becoming aware of the issue! 

Where there’s life, there’s hope. You can only go up from here! 


3 things you can do now:

1. Accept that you must focus on one ideal client/customer to begin to attract any at all.

You have to know who you are talking to in order to understand what would compel them to make a purchase. Many businesses avoid identifying their ideal client in fear that they will alienate a ton of potential customers that don’t fit into that mold. My observation (as well as personal experience) has been that that approach doesn’t end up in a mass amount of new business. It leads to a watered down, boring business and fewer and fewer customers.

No bueno. 

Here’s an example that a friend brought to my attention:  

"Vans, a popular skate-shoe company, targets almost all of their advertising to a very elite few in the skate-lifestyle community. This group represents about 10-20% of their sales, but the effects of that advertising drives the other 80% of the sales that come from the audience outside the main 20%. Your targeting will trickle through to people who aspire to be like your ideal client.” 

As you see, if your aim is focused, you’ll end up reaping the rewards of the ripple effect.

How’s that for a tongue-twister?

 
2. Know what value your business brings to your ideal client/customer.

If we're not making other people’s lives better through our product or service then we have a hobby, not a business. Now that you have outlined your ideal client, you can start to understand what problems and goals they have and what value you bring to their life. 

If you already know what value you bring, but are still not seeing results, you may have to then ask “why should they care”? There is a disconnect between you and your customer if you bring value but still aren’t seeing results. Like a relationship, that disconnect happens because of a lack of communication skills. The value is there, but it’s not being communicated or received properly.

There is also a chance that the customer doesn’t consider value in what you’re offering (no matter how it’s communicated). In that case, you’d have to go back and fact check your outline of your idea client to understand what they truly value.
 

3. Understand what makes your business so special that someone would choose you over a competitor.

There are so many choices of what to buy and who to buy it from. And as many automated and offshore options enter the marketplace—it’s easy to feel resentful and angry if your only differentiator is being the cheaper option.

What makes you different? As individuals, we are all unique—we each have our own history, story, beliefs, values, and unique offering we bring to the world. Your business is the same way. It’s those unique differences that will attract like-minded clients and customers—those that will not only stay loyal, but refer new business.

You have more to offer than saving someone a few bucks. Do you know what it is? 



How else can I help you?

Building a brand can get confusing and overwhelming. That's why I tailored specific offerings for those who are in need of a little extra clarity and direction.

- Melinda Livsey, CEO/Brand Strategist